WordPress is one of the world’s most popular open-source platforms. More than one-third of all websites currently run on WordPress. It is commonly used as a content management system (CMS) for websites, as well as for blogging. The appeal of WordPress is that no technical knowledge or experience is required to use it. WordPress is utilized by bloggers, small business owners, and even Fortune 500 companies. In addition, because it is open source software, the source code can be modified to create additional apps and plugins for WordPress sites.
- Ease of Monetization
- Platform Stability
- Integration with Self-Hosted Blog
- Publishing Tools
- Writer Support
Date Founded: May 2003
WordPress was founded in May 2003 by Matthew Mullenweg and Mike Little. The platform was an upgraded version of an existing blogging software called b2/cafelog, which had been discontinued. WordPress has since helped millions of people around the world start businesses and share ideas.
WORDPRESS KEY FEATURES
Canva allows writers to easily design stunning blog banners for their posts.
Canva allows anyone to create custom infographics and graphical depictions of data.
Small Business Tools
Canva offers small businesses the tools to create any marketing material they may need, including logos, social media post templates, flyers, white papers, and icons.
WORDPRESS KEY STATISTICS
Million Monthly Users
years in business
in global website rankings
WordPress is the world’s most popular and widely used content management system, powering 37.6% of all websites on the internet.
- Very flexible — WordPress gives you full control over every aspect of your site
- Highly extendable — you can add almost any functionality through plugins (The WordPress directory has over 54,000).
- Thousands of mobile-friendly themes allow you to switch the design of your blog at the touch of a button.
- The platform can be relatively easily search engine optimized and works well with social media.
- You will have full ownership of your content.
If you enjoyed learning more about WordPress, here are some other blogging platforms and related guides that you may enjoy: