How to Start Writing on Medium
Written by Casey Botticello
Medium is one of the better known free blogging platforms. The site features amateur writers alongside well known writers for major media publications. Medium writers are paid through the platform’s Partner Program, which distributes money based on total article read time. The site is popular among bloggers because it is free for writers, requires no web design or technical expertise, and its posts are beautifully formatted.
Medium is unique because it allows anyone to create blog posts for free, which are then shared with Medium’s audience of over 100 million monthly readers. Additionally, Medium has its own staff of content curators who review articles and feature select content in the site’s in house publications.
Some of the other major benefits of publishing on Medium:
- Medium has extremely high Domain Authority (DA). This means that your content on Medium typically will rank higher in search engine results.
- Medium has a built-in monetization system. Many writers struggle to monetize their writing, traditionally relying upon advertising revenue for income. Medium pays writers based on their article reading time, which allows writers to focus on writing as opposed to marketing their content or dealing with the technical infrastructure needed for their own website.
- Medium has a WYSIWYG editor which allows writers to produce stylish posts which are easily readable on any device and look professional. Creating a slick, minimalist blog is challenging for many writers, and Medium offers its platform for free to all writers.
Reasons to Write on Medium
How to Write on Medium
Medium makes it easy to create an account and start writing.
Note: You do not need to pay for a membership to Medium to become a writer! While it is a nice way of supporting other authors, and it allows you to read more than 3 articles per month, it is by no means required.
If you go to the Medium website, you will see several buttons asking you to create an account or write for Medium:
The total process of creating a writer account only takes a few minutes.
The main steps are:
- Registering your account / verifying email.
- Connecting your existing Stripe account (or creating a new one) to your Medium writer profile (this is how you will get paid).
- Filling out your writer profile.
In summary, Medium is a fantastic blogging platform that allows anyone to easily write, publish, and monetize a blog post, of any length.
While Medium is not perfect, it only takes a few minutes to sign up. Unlike many other platforms (such as Amazon KDP), Medium allows writers to actually receive their earnings without a 60 or 90 day delay, and without any minimum payout threshold.
I’ve personally had a lot of success on Medium, so feel free to check out my Medium publication, Medium Blogging Guide, for the latest tips and tricks for writing on Medium. Also, if you really want to learn the tips that top medium writers are using, check out my newly released Medium Writing Course.
Blogging Guide’s comprehensive list of the best blogs about blogging.
This guide provides a comprehensive overview of the top digital publishing platforms competing for creators in the passion economy.
My review of Substack after using it for one year to publish my newsletter. Substack allows writers to create a subscription newsletter.